Sweet-and-Salty Party Mix
This joyful, crunchy snack to share with friends (and enjoy with cocktails) relies on corn syrup, sugar and soy sauce for a balance of sweet and savory. The glaze in this recipe is a riff on the sweet-and-salty coating used in cereal-seaweed snack mixes found in Hawaii that bakes into an irresistible, super-crisp shell. A bit of Worcestershire sauce lend some tang, and cayenne adds a surprising touch of heat. Use the mix-in amounts as a guide, and feel free to use whatever cereals, crackers and nuts speak to you.
- Serves: 16 persons
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for greasing the pans
- ½cup/113 grams salted butter (1 stick)
- ⅓cup/105 grams light corn syrup
- ⅓cup/67 grams granulated sugar
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 4cups/100 grams crunchy, salty snacks, such as cheese crackers, rice crackers, bagel chips, sesame sticks or a combination
- 3cups/115 grams salted mini pretzels
- 6cups/180 grams rice or corn Chex or Crispix cereal, or a combination
- 3cups/29 grams store-bought or homemade salted popcorn
- 1cup/125 grams roasted, salted cashews (or your favorite nut)
- ¼cup/35 grams hemp or sesame seeds
Step 1Heat oven to 250 degrees. Lightly grease two rimmed baking sheets with vegetable oil. In a small saucepan, combine 3 tablespoons vegetable oil with the butter, corn syrup, sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire, salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the mixture is smooth and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Step 2In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the snack mix, except the hemp seeds. Pour the syrup over the mix and toss with a wooden spoon to evenly coat all the pieces.
Step 3Divide the mix across the two prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle the hemp seeds evenly over the mixture on both baking sheets.
Step 4Bake until the mix is dry, about 1 hour and 15 minutes, tossing well every 15 minutes. The mixture will be dry but still sticky, and will set as it cools.
Step 5Let the mix cool completely before breaking it into pieces to serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.