Potato Soup with Cheese and Green Chiles
This is a recipe that came down from my mom and dad from the "lean years." It's quick and easy and forgiving on quantities.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 2large potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 5stalks celery, sliced
- 1medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1(8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1(7 ounce) can mild green chiles
- ¼teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1quart water, or as needed to cover
- 1(12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- ½cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, or to taste
Step 1Combine potatoes, celery, onion, 1/2 of the Cheddar cheese, green chiles, and pepper in a soup pot and cover with water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until celery is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Add evaporated milk and butter. Stir in bouillon; taste and adjust if needed.
Step 2Pour into serving bowls and top with remaining Cheddar cheese.