Mussels with nduja & tomatoes
Pair mussels with flavoursome nduja and tomatoes for supper. Scatter with chopped chives and serve with crusty bread to mop up the gorgeous sauce
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tsp olive oil
- 2shallots, finely chopped
- 2garlic cloves, finely grated
- 3tbsp nduja
- 125ml red wine (light reds, such as pinot noir, work well)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1kg mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1⁄2 small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- crusty bread, to serve (optional)
Step 1Heat the oil in a large, lidded saucepan over a medium heat and fry the shallots for 5-6 mins until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min more before adding the nduja for a few minutes to release its oil. Pour in the wine and cook for 2 mins to allow the alcohol to evaporate, then tip in the tomatoes and chilli flakes, if using, and season well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 mins.
Step 2Tip in the mussels, then put the lid on the pan and cook for 5 mins until the mussels open. Discard any that remain closed. Ladle into bowls and scatter over the chopped chives. Serve with crusty bread, if you like.