Creamy Dairy-Free Potato, Leek, and Celery Root Soup
This creamy dairy-free recipe for potato, leek, and celery root soup is great served warm on cool days or chilled on warm ones.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1sweet onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3leeks , white and green parts (chopped)
- 1clove garlic (peeled and chopped fine)
- 3medium Yukon gold potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1knob of celery root , about 1 ½ pounds (peeled and chopped)
- 1bay leaf
- 2quarts vegetable stock (or spring water)
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme (marjoram or basil)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley (dill or chervil leaves for garnish)
Step 1In large 4- or 5-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Step 2Add onion, leek, and garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Step 3Add the chopped potatoes, celery root, and bay leaf.
Step 4Stir the vegetables and then add the stock.
Step 5Bring the soup to a boil, cover the pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
Step 6Add the thyme, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
Step 7Cook an additional 5 minutes.
Step 8Remove bay leaf, and puree soup with a vertical blender.
Step 9Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh herbs.