Ginger-Turmeric Bone Broth With Greens
This simple, soothing recipe fortifies the bone broth you already have on hand — either your own or a store-bought variety. The spice, aromatics and citrus are added flourishes. Ginger lends warmth, and turmeric offers a robust earthiness. Handfuls of nutrient-dense torn greens thrown in at the end wilt just enough to retain a delicate crunch, and a squeeze of lemon completes the broth.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1quart bone broth or chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
- ½teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1garlic clove, grated
- 1(1-inch) piece ginger, scrubbed and grated
- Salt and black pepper
- 2cups torn greens, such as mature spinach, kale, mustard greens, dandelion or beet greens (optional)
- 1lemon, cut into wedges, for squeezing
Step 1Pour the broth into a medium pot and add the turmeric. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and stir in the greens, if using.
Step 2Divide the broth in bowls or large mugs. Serve hot with lemon wedges for squeezing.