Sheet-Pan Chicken With Squash and Dates
This weeknight sheet-pan dinner combines chicken with simple ingredients that hit a number of notes, all salty, sweet, tangy and rich. The juicy Medjool dates caramelize as they cook, while the chickpeas become extra toasty and nutty. Their textures complement the velvety roasted squash and meaty chicken. A lemony olive-caper relish with fresh parsley, bolstered by pan juices, brightens and balances. Chop up leftovers and repurpose them in a rice salad with crumbled feta or grated Parmesan for extra tang. Or, for a fantastic vegetarian side dish or warm salad, you could make this recipe without the chicken.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2pounds delicata squash (about 2 large squash), scrubbed, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced crosswise into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1(15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- ½cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4whole bone-in, skin-on chicken legs (about 3 pounds)
- 4ounces pitted large Medjool dates (about 6), quartered lengthwise
- ½cup pitted green olives (about 2 ounces), coarsely chopped
- ½cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1tablespoon drained capers, plus 2 tablespoons caper brine
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
Step 1Heat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, combine squash and chickpeas with 3 tablespoons oil; season well with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then spread in an even layer. Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon oil, season with salt and pepper, and arrange on top, skin-side up. Roast for 20 minutes, then stir in dates, and roast until squash is golden and chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes longer.
Step 2While the mixture roasts, in a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup oil with the olives, parsley, capers and caper brine, and lemon juice. Season the olive relish with salt and pepper, then set aside.
Step 3Divide the roasted chicken, squash, dates and chickpeas among plates. Stir any pan juices into the relish, then spoon the relish on top of each serving. Serve with lemon wedges.