Baked Feta Pasta with Vegetables
I've given the baked feta trend a spring/summer twist. Full of veggies like asparagus, zucchini, corn, and peppers, and baked until golden brown and delicious.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1pint grape tomatoes
- 1bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1ear fresh sweet corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 4tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed
- 1teaspoon red pepper flakes
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1(16 ounce) package block feta cheese
- 4sprigs fresh thyme
- 1(16 ounce) package rigatoni pasta
- ½medium lemon
- ¼bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1tablespoon grated Pecorino Romano cheese, or more to taste
Step 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Step 2Combine grape tomatoes, asparagus, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, and corn kernels in a baking dish large enough to accommodate all vegetables. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper flakes as well as a hit of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and make a well in the center of the dish. Place feta blocks in the well and drizzle with more olive oil. Season feta with salt, pepper, and a pinch of pepper flakes. Nestle thyme sprigs into the veggies around the dish.
Step 3Bake uncovered in the preheated oven until vegetables are soft and feta is lightly browned, about 40 minutes.
Step 4When the vegetables and feta have cooked for 25 minutes, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook rigatoni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until tender yet firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Set aside.
Step 5When the vegetables and feta are finished cooking, turn the broiler to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C) and broil vegetables for 1 minute for some final browning.
Step 6Squeeze lemon over vegetables and feta and stir in fresh parsley. Stir in rigatoni and reserved pasta water to help feta coat pasta evenly. Season with salt and pepper as needed and sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese.