The Wright Flyer is an adaptation of the classic Paper Plane cocktail, with a nod to North Carolina from its creator. Drew Furlough, a restaurant manager in Asheville, set out to build a citrusy winter cocktail on a base of apple brandy, a traditional spirit that’s enjoying a comeback in the Blue Ridge Mountains, where apples have been a major crop since the 1700s.
- Serves: 2 persons
- ¼teaspoon Demerara sugar
- 6dashes bitters, such as Angostura or apple
- 1ounce applejack or apple brandy
- 1 ½ounces fresh (unsweetened) grapefruit juice
- 1 ½ounces Italian amaro, such as Nonino or Fernet-Branca
- 1 ½ounces Aperol
- ½ounce dark rum, such as Gosling’s
- 2apple slices, for garnish
Step 1In a shaker, combine sugar, bitters and applejack; shake to dissolve.
Step 2Fill shaker with ice and add grapefruit juice, amaro, Aperol and rum.
Step 3Shake well and strain into two coupe or martini glasses. Garnish each with an apple slice and serve immediately.