Turkey Chili with Brown Rice
A wholesome turkey chili with rice recipe that tastes like you are treating yourself. Serve topped with low-fat shredded Cheddar and freshly chopped green onion.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1¼ pounds lean ground turkey
- 1(28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- ¼cup uncooked brown rice
- 2tablespoons chili powder
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1teaspoon garlic-pepper seasoning
- ½teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½teaspoon ground cumin
- ½teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1(15 ounce) can low-sodium white beans, rinsed
- 1teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Cholula®)
- ¼cup tomato paste
Step 1Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, carrot, and celery for 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Step 2Heat remaining olive oil in the pan and add ground turkey. Cook and stir until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vegetables back in. Add brushed tomatoes, broth, and uncooked rice. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire, oregano, garlic-pepper seasoning, paprika, cumin, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 1 hour.
Step 3Uncover, taste, and adjust spices. Add white beans and hot sauce. If chili is too thin, add 1/4 cup tomato paste. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes more.