Olive Oil Brownies With Sea Salt
Moist in the center and crisp at the corners, these fudgy brownies are lusciously smooth but for the occasional crunch of a chocolate chip. Their bittersweet character is accentuated by the olive oil, while dark brown sugar makes them extra rich. Be sure to sprinkle the salt on top while the brownies are still warm. The heat helps the salt adhere. Use a mild oil here: Anything too grassy or sharp might overpower the chocolate.
- Serves: 16 persons
- 6tablespoons/90 milliliters mild extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 1cup/130 grams all-purpose flour
- ¾teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼teaspoon baking powder
- ¼cup/25 grams Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ¼cup/60 milliliters boiling water
- 3ounces/90 milliliters melted unsweetened chocolate
- 1large egg, at room temperature
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾cup/165 grams packed dark brown sugar
- ⅓cup/65 grams granulated sugar
- ½cup/90 grams mini or regular chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, as needed
Step 1Heat oven to 350 degrees, and grease an 8-by-8-inch square baking dish with some of the olive oil. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides so you can pull the brownies out easily.
Step 2In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
Step 3In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and boiling water until smooth. Whisk in 6 tablespoons oil, melted chocolate, egg and vanilla.
Step 4Whisk in brown and granulated sugars, then fold in flour mixture, then chocolate chips. Scrape into prepared pan, and bake until set and firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes.
Step 5Immediately sprinkle brownies with flaky salt while still warm, and let cool. Cut into 16 squares and serve.