Baked Chicken and Rice
This quick and easy healthy chicken and rice dish with chicken, rice, broth, tomatoes, spinach, onions, and spices is easy to prepare any night.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 4boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 to 6 ounces each)
- 1cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 ½cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1(14 1/2 ounce) can dice tomatoes (undrained)
- ½medium onion (chopped, about 3/4 cup)
- 1garlic clove (minced)
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 3cups fresh baby spinach (chopped; 1/2 of a 6-ounce bag)
Step 1Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray that can accommodate the chicken in 1 layer.
Step 2Add the chicken breasts in a single layer to the baking pan.
Step 3In a medium bowl, combine the uncooked rice, chicken broth, tomatoes and their liquid, onion, garlic, and oregano.
Step 4Stir in the chopped spinach.
Step 5Spoon the mixture over the chicken and spread to cover evenly.
Step 6Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through (165 F) and the rice is tender.
Step 7Serve and enjoy.